If you are a victim of discrimination, you can start a lawsuit in state court or file a complaint with the New York State Division of Human Resources (DHR). You may hire an attorney to represent you at DHR, but it is not necessary and there is no filing fee for DHR complaints. You must file a DHR complaint within one year of the discriminatory act against you.

For more information on filing a complaint and the process that occurs after you do so, call your local DHR office or visit the DHR website.